Betony's Beautious Book Blog

Friday, September 09, 2005

Jeff's take on ch. 1-3

What I found most helpful in the first three chapters was the discussion of theology as a spring: something that bends and twists, yet is quite solid, and can hold a lot of weight. The image of the trampoline (and the picture of child-like joy associated with the spring) is lush.

What I didn’t buy was his take on ‘binding and loosing.’ Rob hits a common problem for postmodernity here: if I accept what he says, I can easily reject what he says. If I accept that I can bind and loose what I choose in the scriptures, then certainly I can bind or loose the concept of binding and loosing. Its like using language to say that language is fully subjective. At some point there must be stability or else you can’t say anything.

Do we have different perspectives: of course. Do we have to inturpret stuff: yeah. But make sure you don't shoot yourself in the foot when you proclaim it.

Jeff

Painting: 'Child's Prayer' by Cornelis Monsma

5 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site you have here, I bookmarked it!

I have a penis pills reviews related info site. It covers penis pills reviews related information.

Check it out when you can. ;)

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Yeah! I need some of those.
Jeff

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Brenton (FiXT) said...

Ugh...is there a way we can block anonymous/non-member posts?

My take on chapters 1-3 is forthcoming...

-Brenton

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Brenton (FiXT) said...

OK, my notes are up at http://www.bnichol.com/extra/notes.html

-Brenton

 
At 5:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home